Wednesday, May 16, 2012

London 2012: Natasha Jonas & Nicola Adams qualify

Natasha Jonas and Nicola Adams have become the first female British boxers to qualify for the Olympic Games after reaching the World Championships semis.
 
 


Liverpudlian lightweight Jonas beat Norway's Ingrid Egner 23-9 in the quarter-finals in Qinhuangdao, China. And Leeds flyweight Adams edged out Indian star Mary Kom Hmangte, 13-11. British middleweight Savannah Marshall is one win from qualifying for London, where women's boxing will make its Olympic debut. Marshall, who beat highly-rated US boxer Claressa Shields on the way to the quarters, will face China's Jinzi Li in the last eight. Adams enjoyed a superb win over five-time 48kg world champion world champion Kom to guarantee at least a bronze, with a semi-final to come against Russia's Elena Savelyeva. The top three Europeans in each weight division in Qinhuangdao qualify for the Games, and Jonas was the first Briton to secure her place - as well as assure herself of at least a world bronze medal. "It's a great feeling," she told BBC Sport's Leon Mann.

"I've never boxed so many times against such good opponents and it's nice to just come out on top and come here to do what I said I was going to do, and that's qualify. "But not only did I say that, I said I didn't want to just make up the numbers, I wanted a medal, and that's what I've done. "I'm absolutely made up that I'm still in it and I'll keep fighting until I get beat." Asked when she was certain that she had done enough to qualify for London, Jonas said: "I asked one of the coaches. "We just got it confirmed as we were coming out and I've seen my dad as I was walking round, and he says: 'Yeah, you've done it, you've done it!' "To know that I'm going to go out in London and there could possibly be 10,000 people cheering for you for a change is just unreal. I can't wait to get on the stage and show them what boxing's all about." And on the subject of winning a medal in London, Jonas added: "Don't expect nothing less, that's what I'm there for." Jonas will take on will face Russia's Sofya Ochigava in the semi-final. Ireland's Katie Taylor, going for a fourth consecutive world title, qualified in the same lightweight division as Jonas on Wednesday. "It's a dream come true, I just can't believe it really," said Taylor. "It's just years and years of hard work really to get here, now I'm going to be an Olympian."












16 May 2012 Last updated at 09:17
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18047350
Share on :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright UK Sport News 2013 - Some rights reserved.